MULTIMEDIA STAR INNOVATOR AWARDFor questions about the IEEE Multimedia Star Innovator Award, please contact Dr. Lina Karam at (karam [AT] asu [DOT] edu) with the email subject: IEEE Multimedia Star Innovator Award.
The Multimedia Star Innovator Award was created to recognize pioneers of transformative technologies and business models in areas within the technical scope of the IEEE ICME conference series. The Award showcases innovations that have had great impact on human experiences or are anticipated to do so in the near future. To reflect widespread appreciation by the community, the winner is selected through voting by registered attendees of the conference, from among finalists selected by an Award Board.
The Multimedia Star Innovator Award is open to individuals and teams (with up to four members) responsible for business and technology innovations in areas including but not limited to the following:
- Artificial Intelligence for multimedia
- Multimedia for healthcare and society
- Multimedia and vision
- Multimedia and language
- Speech/Audio/Language/Document/Image/Video/Haptic/Radar/Lidar/Sonar/Other data processing and understanding
- Multimedia and new sensor signal processing
- Multimedia analytics, search and recommendation
- Social and cloud-based multimedia
- 3D multimedia and AR/VR
- Multimedia quality assessment and metrics
- Multi-modal media computing and human-machine interaction
- Multimedia coding, communications, networking and mobility
- Multimedia storage, retrieval, and authentication
- Multimedia security, privacy and forensics
- Multimedia software, hardware and application systems
- Multimedia standards
- Multimedia user experience innovations
- Business model innovations related to multimedia technologies
The award consists of certificates and an honorarium of $5000 (in total for all awardees).
Nomination ProcessNominations are to be submitted online no later than 31 March 2019. The nominations will be forwarded to the Multimedia Star Innovator Award Board for selection of finalists. Required nomination materials and optional supplementary materials (including up to five supporting endorsement letters) can be uploaded in the form of pdf files and links to videos or web pages to convey the merits and impact of the nominated innovation.
The following factors will be weighted heavily in the evaluation of the nominations:
- the current impact (or potential impact) of the innovation on society through new/improved products and services, and/or economic benefits;
- the novelty of the innovation relative to public prior art (e.g., publications, published patents and patent applications); and
- the quality of the nomination.
The nomination and endorsements should be specific and concise yet provide adequate context to appreciate the innovation and the role of the nominated individual or team. Keep in mind that those involved in the selection process may have no personal knowledge of some nominated individual(s) and may seek additional opinions and verifications of attributions. Self-nomination is permitted.
Evaluation ProcessAn independent Award Board, also known as Multimedia Star Innovator Award Board, was formed by the ICME 2019 General Chairs and consists of 15 voting members including:
Industrial executives and research leaders from leading companies in multimedia technology
Successful venture capitalists and visionary entrepreneurs
World-recognized scholars from academia
The Award Board will review the nomination material and select up to five finalists by
15 April 2019.
30 April 2019.
The election will be conducted through on-line electronic means (e.g., phone app), with all registered ICME 2019 attendees eligible to vote. Attendees are invited to view the nomination/campaign material of the finalists online, attend the Multimedia Star Innovators Session at ICME 2019. The deadline for voting is to be determined. The winner will be announced and recognized at the ICME 2019 Banquet.
Please use this link to submit your Nomination Form.
Innovator Award BoardThe Multimedia Star Innovator Award Board consists of 15 voting members including executives and research leaders from leading companies as well as visionary entrepreneurs and renowned scholars from academia.
March 31, 2019
Deadline for nominations
April 15, 2019 Finalists chosen by the Award Board
April 30, 2019
Finalists chosen by the Award Board
April 30, 2019 Confirmation received from the finalists to attend the conference
May 6, 2019
Confirmation received from the finalists to attend the conference
May 15, 2019
All ICME 2019 attendees are notified of the Award competition with the online campaign materials for the finalists